Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Oh, boy ... e-Bay

I use an old Handspring Visor handheld to coordinate work and church schedules, and to keep an electronic address book. It has worked very well for me for a number of years. Unfortunately, I recently dropped my PDA for the umpteenth time and ruined the screen. The device still functioned, but with half the screen blacked out I couldn't see enough detail even by scrolling. So I reluctantly started price shopping for a new PDA.


Unfortunately, all the new devices are combination cell phone / camera / wireless and who knows what else contraptions that do far more than I need and are far more expensive than I can afford. So with some fear and trepidation, I turned to e-Bay to see if I could find a used Handspring Visor Platinum like this one:


I don't know much about e-Bay. But I soon found myself obsessed with finding a Visor that no one else seemed to notice or bid on. I was getting up in the middle of the night when an auction was about to expire, seeing if I could be the successful bidder at the last minute. I found myself saying how unfair it was that others would set up automatic bids (cheating, I fumed) to continually trump my attempts.
Finally, after 2-3 weeks of trying, I found myself the high bidder on exactly what I was looking for and at a price I wanted to pay. After learning the ins and outs of PayPal, I received my new-used handheld and was back in business. Two days later I dropped it. Fortunately, it didn't break. But if it had, I was ready for more e-Bay action!

2 comments:

Emily W said...

Ben and I LOVE ebay. I am glad you were able to find what you wanted and at the price that you needed. Ben and I were able to get a 6 hour battery replacement for our camcorder for $15 total, and it was brand new and it was shipped from Hong Kong. WE were really excited about that find.

Ben (Oviatt) Weinheimer said...

Dad, love your blog. What is it with you and mom dropping and breaking your electronic toys? Should I buy you both neck straps? ;)