Wednesday, January 12, 2011

New Year's Evolution

Not quite two weeks into the new year we have experienced another change with the birth of a new grandchild ... our family continues to evolve. Lindsey and Dustin welcomed a baby boy to join their son, Silas, and their foster daughter, Angela. I can't yet welcome this little one by name; that detail is pending. But I can express my gratitude for a safe delivery, a normal baby, a healthy mother, and a proud father.

Nothing is quite so miraculous as the birth of a child. For some this is a biological wonder ... and for others there is an added spiritual miracle that takes place when a child of Heavenly Father crosses the veil to enter mortality. Nothing is ever quite the same after a child is born. Nothing is ever quite so easy and nothing is ever quite so rewarding.

If we calculate the cost of raising a child, we can hardly justify having more than one or two. But when we take into account the blessings, we come to understand that the greatest rewards are not reflected in a financial calculation or balance sheet.

At one time or another each of my children with kids of their own has asked, "Dad, how did you and Mom raise five children? How did you do it?" Typically this question is asked amidst some trial or affliction, during an illness or difficult day. My honest answer is that Mom and I hardly knew what we were doing or what raising one child would entail, let alone five. We stepped out in faith, confident that we would receive help and blessings along the way.

My parenting path includes happiness and heartache, laughter and loss, delight and despair, wonder and worry. I know my children face a very similar path, but in a world that is increasingly challenging. I pray that my children will be blessed with offspring as wonderful as mine. And I'm confident that they will be wonderful parents. Someday their own children will likely be asking them, "Mom and Dad, how did you raise us?" How did you do it?" And they will smile and wonder at the answer themselves.

No comments: