Friday, September 07, 2007

My Grandparents

My grandparents on my father's side were Dee Oviatt (after whom I was named) and Lillian Irene Eriksson. Grandpa Oviatt was born on June 21, 1892 and died at age 61 on May 23, 1954 just two months before I was born. He died of a heart attack. Grandma Oviatt was born on February 16, 1895 and died at age 93 on June 20, 1988 just before Lindsey was born. She died of causes incident to age.



















My grandparents on my mother's side were Lewis Lamont Allen and Alice Lucile Stokes. Grandpa Allen was born on May25, 1906 and died at age 68 on June 5, 1974 while undergoing exploratory surgery to treat black lung from his many years mining coal. I was serving as a missionary at this time and learned of his death in a letter from my Mom. I was very distraught, having looked forward very much to talking to my grandfather when I returned home to tell him how much his example meant to me and helped in my decision to serve a mission. Unfortunately, I never got that chance. Grandma Allen was born on January 24, 1907 and died at age 62 on February 25, 1969. She died as a result of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS (also known as Lou Gehrig's disease).


No comments: