Friday, November 16, 2007

What a pain in the ... heel!

For the last few weeks I have been battling heel pain. My podiatrist diagnosed the problem as plantar fasciitis, which is Latin for "hurts like #@!$% when I get up in the morning and take my first steps or when I sit too long at my computer and get up to go eat." Mom's diagnosis is that I am "too old to still be playing basketball like a kid, and why don't you grow up and act your age."

As this diagram shows, the plantar tendon that runs along the bottom of the foot and attaches at the rear to the heel gets inflamed and causes quite a bit of pain.

I have been to see the doctor a couple of times. At the first visit he gave me some oral steroids and stretching exercises to do. When I came back for a second visit, he wanted to inject cortisone into my heel. I asked him what was Plan B. Then he gave me a boot to wear, as in this photo. So this is what I am now wearing to work and to church. I haven't been able to wear a normal shoe in several weeks.

Next he added a night splint, which I wear to bed to stretch the tendon while I am sleeping. None of this seems to be doing much good. I can't wait to see what the next visit brings. I suspect I will be getting the cortisone injection after all.


Between Mom and me, our house looks like a cross between a pharmacy and a durable medical equipment outlet. I don't know what hurts worse, my heel or not being able to play basketball.

2 comments:

Blondie said...

I was looking up information about plantar fasciitis for which I suffer from. I wanted to let you know that I have had the injections and they help tremendously. My doctor will only let me have three a year. You have to be careful though because too many injections can cause tissue damage. I also had a experimental procedure called shock wave therapy a few years ago. It worked good and was less invasive than surgery.I hope this helps and good luck.

Blondie said...

Feel free to contact me if you want more info on shockwave therapy. I live in Utah and they don't offer it here any more but I know that some states do.