Friday, February 08, 2008

Doctors thank us

As if Mom going for lymphedema treatments 2-3 times each week isn't bad enough, I have to start physical therapy on my foot twice a week for a month. When you do the math, it means that on average someone is going for medical help every week day! Now every time I see a Mercedes or Audi or BMW driving down the street I look to see if the driver is one of our doctors.

The good news is that my most recent foot x-ray showed no stress fracture, heel spur, or evidence of arthritis. So we are most likely dealing with inflammation and a high arch that needs more and better support. The physical therapy should help lessen the inflammation and strengthen the foot so I can hopefully get back to normal. I have to lay off basketball for awhile, of course. Maybe I will start sleeping in on Saturdays.

In addition to stretching and strengthening exercises, I will be getting ultrasound treatments and iontophoresis treatments. Here is some information about these treatments:

  • Therapeutic ultrasound in physical therapy is a relatively low intensity technique that uses high-frequency sound waves (ultrasound) to speed healing in injured joint or muscle tissue.

  • Iontophoresis is the process by which drugs, usually dexamethasone and lidocaine, are introduced into a joint or small body part via electrical current. It is non-invasive, painless and it eliminates potential side effects and adverse reactions which can occur with medications delivered orally or by injection." I saw this described in simpler terms as moving medication with electrical current. Here is what I believe this treatment will look like.

Anywho, it looks like we will both be getting our money's worth from our insurance premiums this year. Wish us luck!

No comments: