Thursday, March 20, 2008

Mission ... impossible

Long, long ago and in a galaxy far away (Arkansas) I worked for a time with Vietnamese refugees. From June to October in 1975 I lived in Barling, Arkansas (a bedroom community to Fort Smith) and spent my days at Fort Chaffee helping to resettle refugee families into communities throughout the country.

I ran across a couple of photos from that time. The first is with Santry Elmer, who was my companion during the time we worked in Arkansas. Eventually we were transferred to California, where we finished our assignment. This photo was taken in front of the chapel in Fort Smith.


The second is at the Fort Smith airport, where Elder Baxter and I are seeing off one of the Vietnamese families who are departing for their new home.



While working in Arkansas I celebrated my twenty first birthday around the time I first met Brenda. It's hard to believe that was over thirty years ago!

No comments: