Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Yellowstone ... 1964

Mom and I have enjoyed several trips to Yellowstone in recent years. Mom has some wonderful photos from these visits ... and can't wait to get back to take more. Perhaps she will post some of her photos or will allow me to include some here.

My only visit to Yellowstone as a child was the summer I turned ten years old ... I think. I remember celebrating my birthday in the park, but might not accurately remember which birthday it was. If I am correct, the year was 1964. My father was 32 , my had just turned 30, Wane was seven, and Gary was five.

This photo is of my Grandmother Allen, who came with us on this trip. My grandfather could not leave the farm, but Grandma Allen decided to come along -- very unusual for her. In those days visitors to the park routinely fed the bears. As a result, the bears were always in the campgrounds begging for food (not at all like today).

In this photo Grandma is 57 years old (not much older than I am now!). She is standing behind the car and to the side of someone taking pictures. Her face is half in the sun and half in the shadow. I notice in this photo that Grandma had curly hair. I don't remember this. What I do remember is that around the farm Grandma always wore an apron.

My mom has a motion picture of my grandmother (8 mm film; this predated video cameras) yelling at a herd of antelope and shooing them with her dress (my memory is of her shooing with her apron, but in reality it must have been her dress) trying to get them to move or run. When she realized that my father was pointing the camera at her and not at the antelope, Grandma was embarassed nearly to death! What fond memories I have of that trip and of having Grandma Allen along with us.

No comments: