Wednesday, March 18, 2009

An "L" of a birthday*

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears! March 19 is Brenda’s birthday, a significant one in that it ends in a zero. Some weeks ago Brenda mentioned to me that she has never in her life had a birthday party with invited guests just for her. She’s been part of many birthday parties for our kids when they invited guests. And we have had family birthday parties to celebrate Brenda’s birthday. But apparently neither as a child nor in our marriage has she enjoyed a “real” party of her own.

I thought about organizing a surprise party to celebrate Brenda’s birthday. But her birthday falls during Spring break and many of the friends I would invite are out of town. So I decided instead to invite church members, friends, and acquaintances from former times and places to join me in wishing Brenda a Happy Birthday by phone call, text message, or e-mail. I printed copies of a little card I handed out to people in church inviting them to contact Brenda. I also e-mailed many people in my address book with the same invitation. Brenda is not aware, I think, that I have gone to this effort. It will be fun to see how many people take part.

Already some birthday cards have arrived in the mail. Brenda was a little puzzled to receive a card from one woman she hardly knows. I was relieved to see that the note accompanying the card did not let the cat out of the bag.

Tonight I will need to be a little sneaky to charge Brenda’s cell phone without her knowing I am doing so. And tomorrow I will have to come up with some excuse to keep her at home so those trying to call Brenda can reach her.

Happy Birthday, Brenda. I love you.

* Think Roman numeral L

No comments: