Thursday, September 16, 2010

New (cough, cough) bathrooms

Today I had a contractor refinish the tub and shower in our bathrooms. This completes the remodeling work in those rooms I started two and a half years ago. Hey, I may not be good but at least I’m slow! When this work is finished tomorrow, our bathrooms will be the nicest rooms in the house.

I decided on refinishing because it is much faster and only a fraction of the cost of tearing out the old fixtures and replacing them with new ones. As an added bonus, the color now matches the new toilets. I am pleased with the result; it looks like a page out of “Better Bathrooms and Gardens.”

One downside is the pungent odor from the bonding and refinishing agents used. It was good to have this work done while Brenda was away. Otherwise, the smell undoubtedly would have triggered a migraine headache or a bout of asthma. Currently I have doors and windows open (and am wearing a sweatshirt) with floor fans running to circulate the air and hopefully exhaust the fumes as quickly as possible. Tara is sneezing to let me know she is not pleased. But she is welcome to spend some time in the back yard barking at the backhoe that is demolishing the condominium complex behind us. This is the building that burned so fiercely a few weeks ago. Almost half the building came down yesterday and it appears that in a day or two it will be entirely razed. I’m glad I’m finishing up, not starting over.

No comments: