Thursday, September 30, 2010

Monday, Monday ... so good to me

Today I received a call from our contractor informing us that they want to drop off tools at our house tomorrow and start our siding replacement project on Monday! This is much sooner than we expected, so I have a LOT of work to do Saturday to get ready.

I will be very glad to get this work done. The siding on our house now has been painted twice and is beyond painting again because it is literally spongy and crumbling. I am looking forward to having a (nearly) maintenance free exterior.

The second time we had our house exterior painted we hired our neighbor Ron Trobaugh to do the work. I still remember that the day he started painting he called me at work to ask if I was really sure I wanted to go ahead with such a bright yellow color. When I drove home to look I confess I was startled at just how bright the yellow paint looked on the house; it didn't appear to be that bright on the color chip. I told him to go ahead because I knew that over time the yellow would fade to a less bright shade. Sure enough, in a couple of years the color was much closer to what we wanted.

While I like the current color of our house, unfortunately yellow really shows dirt. The siding we have now is permanently stained from water that has run off the dark roof shingles. The new siding that has a color fast guarantee and will be replaced at no charge if the color fades. And the Cypress color should do a much better job of hiding dirt and grime.

It will be strange to change house colors after nearly twenty years. I wonder how many times I will drive past the house because my brain is looking for yellow.

No comments: