Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Car Talk

My first car didn't even run. My Dad bought a 1951 Chevrolet from one of his friends for $10 and a six-pack of beer. It was supposed to be a "project car" for us to fix up together, but it didn't turn out that way. I don't remember that he ever got it running and think he eventually sold it or gave it to one of his drinking buddies.

When I started working at the gas station, I saved my money and bought a 1961 Thunderbird. I immediately had it painted black.

Try to imagine this car as pure, shiny black with shiny chrome trim and whitewall tires!

The T-bird was a gas hog, but definitely a cool car. I added some extras: mohair on the dash (to cover a crack), shag carpet, an 8-track stereo system, and surfer foot dimmer switch and accelerator pedals.

A small left foot for the dimmer switch and a
large right foot for the accelerator pedal.

When I left for my mission, I sold this car for $225 (ouch!).

Upon returning from my mission, I attempted to buy a red 1971 (I think) Plymouth Duster like this one.

My car did have a black vinyl top, but not chrome wheels.

But I couldn't get a loan because I had no credit history! So my Mom had to co-sign with me for a loan so I could get a car to go to school. I really liked this car. It had a front bench seat (important for dating) and a manual three-speed transmission. I added a stereo to this car also, but think that by this time I had graduated to a cassette tape system (newer technology). Once the shift linkage went out in this car and I drove home all the way from Provo without stopping (if I stopped, the engine would die because I couldn't take the car out of gear). I don't remember this, but Wane ways I sold this car to him when I was ready to buy my next vehicle.

No comments: