Friday, August 31, 2007

Stuffed Animals

Apparently I have always had a thing for stuffed animals. As you can see, this started at a very early age. Here I am, only a few months old, surrounded by a collection of stuffed bears. I vaguely remember a large stuffed bear with plastic eyes, but have no idea if the large animal at my right in this photo is the one I remember.

I do remember the large red dog in the second photo. At age 10 or 11 I participated in an Easter Egg hunt on the grounds of Midvale Elementary School. Inside some of the plastic eggs were slips of paper with numbers designating a stuffed animal prize. One of the eggs I collected had such a slip and I took it back to the booth to see what I had won. But there was no prize matching my number. I waited very patiently as all the other kids collected their prizes to see what was left. I couldn't help but notice the largest prize of all, a big red dog. I tried not to get my hopes up, but grew more and more excited as the prizes were distributed. Finally, I was the last one left with a number -- and the red dog was the only prize left! How thrilled I was to take home what I felt was the grand prize.






No comments: