Friday, October 22, 2010

It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it

The siding is installed on the house, but the work is not completed. I am fighting a race against rain, trying to replace the dirt I removed along the foundation so the painting could be done. I dug down several inches to make sure the paint would extend below the soil line. This left a trench several inches deep all around the house ... a perfect place for water to collect and run down the foundation looking for any little crack to seep into the basement.

When I removed the soil I placed it in the garden plot, where it has been sitting for three weeks. Because we have enjoyed such dry weather, the soil has hardened. Before replacing it, I have tilled the pile of dirt several times to break down all the large clots.

I hoped the dry weather would last, but the forecast calls for rain tomorrow and perhaps again on Tuesday. Last night I provided day care for the Relief Society get together and tomorrow Brenda and I are going to Omaha, so tonight I worked until it was too dark to see. I did get the soil replaced around all three sides of the house with basement windows, which is where water has found its way into the basement previously. Hopefully this will be sufficient protection against the rain.

We've been very fortunate to enjoy such mild weather this late in the season. Last year we already had experienced snow by this time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when it rains the next few days the precipitation won't turn into the white stuff!

No comments: