Monday, October 25, 2010

Vandalism

Saturday afternoon I received a phone call informing me that someone had vandalized our church building and asking for help cleaning up. I was very surprised ... things like this just don't happen in our town. Initially I was concerned that this might have been done by someone with an axe to grind against the church for a real or perceived slight, or as a reaction to church involvement in sensitive political/social/moral issues. I even felt somewhat unsafe as I thought about how easy it would be to gain entry into the building and cause extensive damage. (Apparently our building was unlocked following an activity earlier in the day.)

When I reached the church I learned that the vandalism was carried out by a young man who apparently struggles with some psychological or emotional issues. The damage included broken glass, damaged artwork, an overturned piano, splotches of blood, and some smoke and fire residue (the fires were small paper fires and not very significant). The man also apparently drank some cleaning fluid from a custodial closet and vomited in the building. A member of our bishopric actually caught the man inside the building. Fortunately, no one was hurt (except for some cuts the man sustained) and we were able to clean up enough to hold church services the next day.

Vandalism is never okay. I am sorry this happened. And I am even more sorry that this young man (not a member of the church and with no apparent agenda directed against us) reached a point in his life where this occurred. I offered up a prayer of thanks that our building was not heavily damaged and also a prayer in behalf of this young man.

No comments: