Wednesday, October 13, 2010

One year later ...

One year ago we lost Laura. It is hard to believe it has been a year. And it is still very difficult to believe she is gone.

I miss Laura a great deal. And I am sorry that she suffered so and reached the point where she felt she had no other option than to end her life.

The last year has been full of pain and second guessing. I still feel very vulnerable and fragile. And I don't think I will ever feel normal again.

But I am glad, even with all the pain.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to know Laura. I feel very privileged to have been her father. I'm thankful for Laura's wonderful sense of humor and how she could one-up me with jokes better than mine. I'm very glad to have had Laura's music in my life. I'm grateful for precious memories of having Laura accompany me on the piano while I sang. I'm thankful for daddy-daughter dates we enjoyed, particularly the times we would succumb to the temptation of decadent chocolate desserts even though we promised ourselves we wouldn't. I have very fond memories of "wing and rings" lunches at the North End Diner. I am very grateful for many good memories.

Most of all, I am glad that Laura is no longer suffering like she did here. I love you, Laura. I'm sorry I couldn't help you overcome your fears and depression. I hope things are better now. And I pray for you continually. ~Poopa

No comments: