Monday, July 23, 2007

I hope they call me on a mission ...

I'm still going through old photos and came across some from my missionary days in Saigon. Mom's favorite is the photo of the food vendor. On the back of the original I wrote the following: "Here is the sidewalk vendor assuring me that her deep-fried sweet potatoes won't make me sick." We tried to be selective as to what we purchased on the street. We figured that anything deep fried probably killed most of the germs. Even so, we didn't do this often. Once I bought some fresh squeezed sugar cane juice thinking this would be safe, but I got extremely sick for a week. It was so bad that while recovering I passed out on the way to the bathroom and cut my chin when I fell.
The other photo is me trying to be funny. Written on the back of this photo is this: "A xich lo (pronounced sit low) which was our main form of transportation before bikes. Sometimes this is what you feel like after riding in one. The record for one of these is about 11 or 12 people." These vehicles were available both in a pedal version and in a motorized version, like this one. Two elders made a snug fit in the narrow seat. The 11 or 12 people I once saw riding a similar vehicle were mostly children, obviously.

No comments: